Thursday, April 21, 2011

Weekend on Nowy Swiat

Okay, so before I start, I have to admit that I have never been to Nowy Swiat before Saturday... Never, not once.  Keep in mind that I have overprotective parents that don't really trust me to go out alone. Anywhere. They're still hesitant about letting me go to the park by my house alone. It's about 50 meters away from my house. I'm not even exaggerating.

Anyways, Saturday was the first time I went to Nowy Swiat. I went with Jasmina, Rachel and Adelaide. Sort of. Adelaide came like 2 hours late. And it was awesome (not the fact that Adelaide came late, but Nowy Swiat). It's probably the nicest part of Warsaw, all clean, pretty and peaceful. The lack of cars was a nice surprise. We didn't do much, admittedly. Just hung around and ate. Also, Rachel and Jasmina witnessed me talking Vietnamese to this Vietnamese lady in her bar (Binh Minh). So awkward... The fact that I stood peering at the menu by the door (also successfully getting in the way of a builder) for like 10 minutes, did not help. In the end I got french fries, which I didn't finish.
I would review them, but they were just french fries. Slightly soggy french fries.
Rachel got a Starbucks frappucino (?) and then, would you believe it, a Coffee Heaven wrap. I was surprised that they didn't throw her out or something.
Jasmina got some Haagen-Dazs pralines and cream ice cream. Later on she wanted to get some cookies, while the rest of us wanted to get some ice cream, but after seeing the queue stretch outside the tiny shop, we decided against it. So sad. Almost as sad as when Jasmina and I ran across the street to get to the Bar Mleczny (Milk Bar) to find it closed. And no, it wasn't just closed, the cleaning lady had locked it before we got there, shooing us away because apparently there were too many people. Mmh, yeah. Right. After that we ran off to Blikle, for a piece of lemon tart (just one) which we proceeded to eat hobo-style, sitting on the ledge of the display window of H&M as people passed by, sending us quizzical glances. The fun we have.
I went home at around 6, not knowing that I would return there the next day.

And so the plot thickens...

Yep, I went to Nowy Swiat again the next day, with my family. We went to Frida! This is the point where I should shout out to Sabrina, who recommended the restaurant to me... So hi? And thanks!
We went straight after I bought a new camera, and it wasn't loaded, so the pictures are not so great... Not that they will be a lot better with the other camera.
My family really liked Frida! My mum said "it was like being on holiday in a different country". I wouldn't go that far, but what with its Mexican music, strange paintings and gunny cloth fork and knife bags (I'm not sure what they're called) it was definitely different. In a good way.



 Just as a side note, not that my English is amazing, but the waiter killed me with his English. I made a point of answering in Polish throughout the whole meal. I don't even know why he spoke English in the first place. Or continued to, for that matter. His accent was a peculiar mix of spanish, russian, german and polish.


We got drinks first

So, this was mine. I got a virgin mojito. It was... fresh. Not too sweet and not too plain. Like a sip of the early morning. The lime juice, fizzy water, sugar and mint worked together perfectly. Too bad it hadn't lasted the whole meal, thanks to my family that kept sneaking small sips while I was looking away.

Top: Complementary nachos and salsa sauce
Second: Nachos with melted cheese


We got complementary nachos, which was nice. And made us feel a bit dumb about ordering extra nachos but with cheese. The nacho chips were wonderfully crunchy and salty. I also loved the abundance of melted cheese, on the extra nachos we ordered. 


Top: Burrito
Second: Guacamole and sour cream


This was my brother's. He ordered the chicken burrito, but made the fatal mistake of ordering it medium spicy. Fool. He didn't manage to eat it in the end. 
I guess some people may like the hot taste, but in my opinion when something is too spicy, it blocks out all the other flavours. It's not that I'm a spice wuss, but I just don't like how it overpowers everything else in the dish. It's nice in small quantities, but I don't think people should overdo it. That's just my opinion though.
It came with sour cream and guacamole. That was pretty neat. 


Top: Chicken Fajitas
Second: Shrimp Fajitas
Third&Fourth: Extras (guacamole, sour cream, salsa, unidentified) and tortillas


 At the urgings of the waiter, who kept recommending the fajitas saying they were Frida's specialty, we caved in and ordered. I got mild chicken fajitas, while my mum got medium shrimp fajitas, which she regretted later on, having not finished her meal either.
It came with guacamole, which was creamy and light, sour cream, salsa and... I have no idea what the last thing was.I really don't. It's the that thing in the top right corner on the third picture. It looked a bit like it had already been eaten.
And then spat out.
Inside that metal pot were thin, warm tortillas. We sat in anticipation, waiting patiently for them to cool down and start digging in.
This dish was really good, but I think that the thing that really made it that great was the actual chicken part. It was served on a "goracy polmisek" or whatever they call it. Hot, steaming roast peppers, tossed with onion and well-seasoned chicken. I adored the bursts of sweetness that came with the pepper, which cut through the more salty, earthy taste of the chicken.


Filete con pesto coriandro


Last came my dad's meal. The "Filete con pesto coriandro" (steak with coriander pesto), and obviously, it was the best out of all the dishes. Next time, I'll just get him to order for me.
Every part of this dish was good. Especially the steak, which was ridiculously tender and juicy. 
Scratch that, about every part of the dish being good, I'm not so sure about the sauce... It was slightly too salty, but at least I could scrape it off.
The fries, were perfect- crisp on the outside and not too starchy on the inside. The rocket on top was a nice touch, evening out the slightly too savoury taste of the sauce. Which I'm not sure was actually coriander pesto, it seemed more like pepper sauce, but oh well. 



 We headed out to Haagen-Dazs after a satisfying dinner. Ah, how I love Haagen-Dazs, I can almost feel my face brighten at the thought of it. Little pots of frozen gorgeousness...
Our trip to Haagen-Dazs that night didn't start so well though, especially for my dad.




See that smudge, just to the left of the Haagen-Dazs sign? Yeah, that's where my dad hit his head, as he walked into the door. But I have to admit, I respect him for the way he cheerily laughed it off (along with the people inside and the ice cream people), strolled in as if nothing happened and seemed almost happy at having provided us with... entertainment? :) I'm almost proud.


Next, we continued our night trek, and decided to grace the new restaurant of a friend of ours. On the way there, I saw this:




This was probably not how it was spelled, but look: GOOD-E FOOD-E. 


Continuing, we reached the restaurant quite quickly, it's actually near this really good restaurant Sunanta, which Jasmina had recommended to me some time ago.




I know the name isn't extremely creative, but don't judge a book by its cover.






It was really nice inside, everything squeaky clean and new. The food served here is Asian fusion, and surprisingly cheap.
If you ever happen to come by here, check out a few of these Vietnamese dishes!


PHOOOOOOOO


Though, the Vietnamese food here won't be very authentic. Later on I might review a more authentic fully Vietnamese restaurant. And I will be reviewing a lot of actual Vietnamese restaurants in actual Vietnam during the summer.


Also, here you can try bubble tea


Bubble Tea


This was all I ordered when I went there, and I'm glad I did. I hadn't had bubble tea since I've last been in Vietnam (around two years ago) and this renewed my memories. Though, in Vietnam there are a lot more flavours.
What it is, is cold milky tea, with small tapioca pearls at the bottom. The tea is my old-time favourite , all frothy and delicious and the tapioca balls, though not very flavourful, are interesting in texture and fun to chew on. You also get these awesome fat straws.


Again, if you try any of the Vietnamese food here, I want to remind you, that it won't be a patch on actual Vietnamese cuisine in Vietnam.


Nevertheless, I strongly recommend this restaurant. (Notice my subtle advertising)














Website: http://frida.pl/




View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment